History

In 1999, I was an enlightenment window manager fan. Back then most OpenSource distributions came with enlightenment as one of the possible window managers so it was easy to select and use. Somewhere along the way, however, it became less than convenient to use. Distributions started excluding the binary packages and many of the themes that I downloaded required some sort of tweaking to make them usable for me.

I started using GNOME or blackbox/fluxbox more often even though I still liked many of the artistically cool themes that enlightenment had.

I suppose the beginning of all this comes from efforts that I began in 2005 when I decided that I once again wanted to run enlightenment DR16, or e16 as it's know as today. I knew that DR17 was in the works, but at the time it didn't have an "official" release and while the screenshots were something to drool over there was something nostalgically tempting about running e16 again for me.

After getting it installed I made a trip out to freshmeat.net to grab some themes (unfortunately no longer accessible there).

As someone who likes to change around my desktop a lot (almost weekly), I found myself constantly fixing themes... adding bits and pieces the original author must not have used, fixing border and image directives, etc.

It was during this time that I thought, since most of this work I'm doing is repetitious, I should be making the computer do all this work for me... and if the computer was going to do the work then I might as well grab every e16 theme I could.

This was the point that I chased the rabbit down the rabbit hole and haven't been back since. ;-)

Just before I would turn loose a script or run through a vim macro to do some fixing/cleanup/standardization on the e16 themes, I would take a backup just in case something went horrifically wrong, which unfortunately was fairly often due to the wide degree of variation in the themes. After doing this enough times I determined that if I created a local subversion repository, I wouldn't have to do backups, and when things did go wrong I could reconcile the situation much faster.

The two ideas, managing themes via a version control repository and all the work I was doing shouldn't just be for myself, is what pushed me in the direction of starting this web site.